Listen to a Quick Interview!
Have you checked out the interview I did with Rae Pica, Bonnie Harris, and David Boomfeld on the educators's channel at BAM radio yet? It does not take long and may give you some ideas about how to handle things when students push your buttons.
Maintaining a reflective practice is something that comes easy to most teachers. We are always looking for ways to teach better and to interact with our students in meaningful and productive ways. One way to think about how you can improve or, if you are a novice teacher-to-be (congrats on getting the job!), is to think about what students really want from a teacher.
In working on the third edition of the book I've written for new teachers, I came across this self-assessment that I wrote a year or so ago. In it, you'll find the character traits that students want from their teachers. Quiz yourself...if you are already checking out teacher blogs, you'll probably do just fine!
Don't forget--the more you can check below, the closer to the ideal teacher your students will thin you are!
The perfect teacher:
1. _____Enjoys being around all students and does not have favorites
2. _____Assigns lots of different types of activities
3. _____Has a great sense of humor
4. _____Understands student problems and tries to help
5. _____Acts like an adult and not a child
6. _____Doesn’t just hand out assignments, but teaches the material
7. _____Always keeps promises
8. _____Is strict, but not too strict
9. _____Admits when he or she is wrong
10. _____Makes sure everyone understands how to do an assignment correctly
11. _____Is well-organized
12. _____Spends time after class to help students
13. _____Returns papers promptly
14. _____Is friendly and fair to everyone
15. _____Knows the subject matter
16. _____Does not allow lots of misbehavior
17. _____Stays open-minded
18. _____Is enthusiastic about the subject
19. _____Is willing to listen to both sides of an issue
20. _____Is polite to everyone all of the time